Before we start discussing things that you can do to increase testosterone, it is important to understand and discuss what testosterone exactly is. “Testosterone” is a term that people commonly use in their day-to-day language but what exactly does “testosterone” mean and what are its functions?
Testosterone is a primary sex hormone that is found in humans; particularly men. Testosterone is also found in women but it is present in much smaller amounts. The testicles are responsible for producing this hormone. It is the hormone that turns boys into men as it is associated with the development of secondary sexual characteristics like the growth of body hair, facial hair, deepening of the voice, enlargement of Adam’s Apple, sperm production, increase in height, increased muscle mass, and increased bone density. It is also responsible for increased sex drive and aggression.
Unfortunately, the testosterone levels start to decline after the age of 30. Low testosterone levels can lead to decreased sex drive, weight gain, less energy, feeling negative emotions like anxiety and depression, low self-esteem, erectile dysfunction, loss of muscle mass, fatigue, etc
Some natural ways to increase testosterone are as follows:
- Intravenous testosterone therapy or IV therapy – Low testosterone levels can be treated by injecting testosterone directly into the veins. The benefits of IV testosterone therapy include an increased sex drive, increased sperm count, more energy, increased muscle mass and strength.
- Exercise – Exercise is a good way to boost testosterone naturally. Strength training or weight resistance training is extremely effective in building muscle mass. The more muscle mass you have the higher your testosterone levels will be. Endurance training exercises can help in maintaining those muscles and as a result, they can also help in maintaining testosterone levels.
- Diet – Eating a healthy and balanced diet can also help boost the levels of testosterone in the body. Your diet must consist of whole grains and a healthy balance of proteins, carbs, and fats. Avoid processed foods and aerated drinks as they contain lots of calories. Calorie intake should be less than the calories burned.
- Minimize stress – When our body is stressed, our muscle gets tensed and our adrenal glands release a hormone known as cortisol. Cortisol is also called the stress hormone. High levels of cortisol in our body not only lead to various heart diseases but is also responsible for the decreased levels of testosterone. We can minimize stress by incorporating relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga into our lifestyles. Meditation and yoga are not only extremely effective in minimizing stress and reducing the cortisol levels in our body, but it is also effective in treating hormonal imbalance.
- Sleep – Getting quality sleep is crucial for our physical and mental health. An individual requires at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep to function normally. Sleep can naturally boost the levels of testosterone in your body.
Therefore regularly exercise, follow a proper diet, meditate to manage stress, and get plenty of quality sleep if you want to boost and maintain your testosterone levels.